‘A natural formula to nourish the mind and relax the nervous system. Ashwagandha is the herb of modern life, in Ayurveda it is known as ‘rasayana’ meaning uplifting. This blend includes iodine which helps to calm the nervous system and a worried mind.’
Pukka have just launched this brand new supplement – Wholistic Ashwagandha – a natural remedy for calming a busy mind and supporting the body during times of stress.
Ashwagandha has been used for centuries to moderate the body’s response to stress, bringing both energy and inner calm. By nourishing a worried mind and relaxing the nervous system, the body is rebalanced and ready to tackle life’s challenges.
Pukka’s organic Wholistic Ashwagandha uses a unique extraction process to retain all 45+ active compounds and each dose provides the equivalent to 39,000mg of fresh weight ashwagandha root.
On top of this, each daily serving provides 20% NRV of iodine, which contributes to normal cognitive function, energy-yielding metabolism, hormone production and the normal functioning of the nervous system.
To test the product, Pukka carried out an observational study and the results are impressive. 218 respondents took two capsules twice a day for one month and 69% reported an improvement in sleep quality, 45% reported an improvement on impact of stress on social activities and 18% reported an increase in energy levels.
So I was pretty excited to try the product myself. On first inspection, I was relieved to see that Pukka’s Wholistic Ashwagandha is in capsule form – super easy to take. The box provides clear directions to take one to two capsules a day with water before food.
The ingredients list is impressive too: 63% ashwagandha root, 30% ashwagandha root wholistic extract, Seagreens arctic fresh seaweed, ginger root, spirulina and vegetable cellulose capsule. Most of the ingredients are organic and the product is certified by the Soil Association.
The capsules are reasonably priced too, £13.55 for 30 capsules or £23.95 for 60 capsules. Furthermore, Pukka’s Wholistic Ashwagandha is free from dairy, soya, gluten, wheat grain and added sugar. It is also suitable for both vegetarians and vegans and is non-GM.
Still wondering if ashwagandha is worth taking? Here are the five main benefits:
- Better sleep: Stress is often at the root of our sleeping problems. When we’re troubled, our sleep is too. Ashwagandha nourishes and strengthens a weakened and over-anxious nervous system, helping the body respond better to stress – thus helping us to relax enough to get a better night’s sleep.
- Aids calmness: Ashwagandha acts as a depressant to the central nervous system, exchanging feelings of anxiety for feelings of calmness. Stress normally causes a surge in the adrenal hormones – adrenaline and cortisol – that increase alertness. Ashwagandha tackles the problem at the root as it acts directly on the trigger of stress by regulating the imbalanced cortisol level and nourishing the adrenal glands. A recent study, published in the Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine, found that ashwagandha safely and effectively improved chronic stress levels in adults taking it daily for 60 days.
- Healthier skin: A big added bonus of taking ashwagandha capsules is its ability to protect your skin. Stress can play a large role in skin damage by producing high levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, which in turn, blocks the production of important proteins that are necessary for healthy skin. One of these proteins is collagen, which helps to keep skin firm and elastic. Research has shown that taking ashwagandha capsules reduces cortisol levels and thus, allows collagen production to work as it’s supposed to – by helping to keep you looking and feeling good.
- Supports muscles: Studies have found that taking ashwagandha capsules can improve muscle strength, making it the perfect solution for reducing stress, improving sleep and making those trips to the gym even more effective.
- Improves libido: Ashwagandha can be taken to help improve libido in women and testosterone and stamina in men, a recent study published by BioMed Research International has shown. When we are stressed we produce a lot more adrenaline and place pressure on our adrenal glands and organs such as our kidneys. Ashwagandha regulates the amount of adrenalin produced and strengthens organs; improving stamina as well as increasing sperm count and motility in men, and improving libido and ability to achieve orgasm in women.
Have you tried ashwagandha?