Everyone is likely navigating their way through a new way of living as the UK remains under isolation and for many, this can bring with it many challenges.
But during these times, it’s important to stay calm and to put plans in place so that whether you’re a couple, friends or a family, you can co-exist under the same roof happily.
And this is something that award-winning hypnotherapist and life coach, Malminder Gill is here to help with as she shares her advice for maintaining a calm mind, while balancing working from home, keeping relationships healthy and staying sane.
If you are working from home with your partner or housemate:
- Have your own workspace: A private and undisturbed workspace will help to minimise distractions. If you want to share ideas, you can create a ‘communal working space’.
- Share your calendar: This also ensures your privacy is respected and means you can take video calls in peace.
- Have a routine: Maintain structure within your day and act like you are both in the office – have lunch together.
- Signal the end of your working day: Do something that signifies the end of your working day – this shift can help you to switch off mentally to spend time together in the evening.
And what about if you are living with family or housemates in a bigger group?
- Create a ‘family contract’: This can help with sharing roles, chores and everyone’s duties, and parents can also split time of who will be looking after the children when the other is working.
- Draft an activity schedule: This can include meals, work/school and leisure times for both parents and children. Organise fun activities such as movie nights or cooking together; this is a great way to maintain a positive mindset.
- Keep moving: Whether it’s a fitness challenge for the whole family, a dance session or playing in the garden, make sure everybody is staying active.
- Document this experience, write a journal: This is a way for both adults and children to understand the thoughts and emotions that this extraordinary situation brings up.