The cold weather can play havoc with our skin and hair, requiring an inside out approach. And the experts at BioCare are here to help you conquer some of the common winter beauty woes with some top tips.
- Take an oral probiotic: Start by giving your gut’s microbiome a little TLC. This is our ecosystem of healthy bacteria and if it’s out of whack, we know it can have an enormous influence over every aspect of our health, from our sleep patterns to our metabolism. Ensuring a plentiful supply of healthy bacteria will boost the flora in your gut, meaning more of the nutrients from the food we eat will be absorbed into our bodies.
- Up your skin game: One dry-skin trigger is the state of your skin’s microbiome. While you may be familiar with the concept of the gut microbiome, our skin has microbiome too and its supply of naturally occurring healthy microbes can also get depleted due to stress or anxiety. Upgrade your normal face wash with a probiotic-based skin cream, which will leave your skin feeling moisturised and supple – even in the dead of winter.
- Wave goodbye to chapped lips: A great DIY solution to chapped lips is combining a drop of olive oil and a pinch of brown sugar, then slicking the mixture onto your lips and buffing it off with a warm washcloth. Alternatively, a great conditioning lip scrub will help to get rid of dead skin cells while nourishing the lips.
- Target scaly hands: Use a moisturising hand soap to counteract the drying effects, and while washing with warm water feels nice on a freezing day, lukewarm water will do less damage. Dry hands thoroughly (lingering water causes more dryness), then slather on a hydrating hand lotion which contains an ingredient like alpha hydroxy to gently exfoliate rough patches of skin.
- Keep the frizz at bay: Windy, damp weather all plays havoc with your hair, and add central heating into the mix and your hair is left dry, brittle and flat. Take extra care of your hair by using a really good nourishing hair mask, especially a protein-rich mask that repairs your hair from the inside out.